Try to run core libs tests -- All IO tests failing

Nick Williams nicholas+openjdk at nicholaswilliams.net
Tue Jul 30 20:13:53 UTC 2013

Okay, this is indeed very interesting. After two hours it was only about half-way through the java.io tests and all of them had failed so far. On a sheer hunch and nothing more, I unplugged my ethernet cable, thus disconnecting me from any/all networks and the Internet. BOOM. The rest of the java.io tests finished (and passed) in a few seconds, leaving 137 that had failed. I then re-ran the tests while still disconnected from the Internet and 312 of the java.io tests passed this time, leaving only 1 failure (java/io/BufferedReader/Lines.java, output below).

I plugged my Ethernet back in and ran the tests again and java.io started failing every test again, timing out after 60 seconds each. Curiously extending my hunch I remained connected over Ethernet and connected to a remote network via OpenVPN. Now all of the java.io test pass again (except that same one, with the same output).

What on Earth??? (If it helps, I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.5.)

Unfortunately, the one failed java.io test prevents jtreg from continuing on to the next set of tests (java.lang). Anyone know how to tell jtreg to continue running on error?

Nick

#Test Results (version 2)
#Tue Jul 30 14:53:42 CDT 2013
#-----testdescription-----
$file=/Users/Nicholas/Documents/OpenJDK/Projects/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/test/java/io/BufferedReader/Lines.java
$root=/Users/Nicholas/Documents/OpenJDK/Projects/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/test
keywords=bug8003258
run=USER_SPECIFIED testng Lines\n
source=Lines.java
title=\

#-----environment-----

#-----testresult-----
end=Tue Jul 30 14\:53\:42 CDT 2013
execStatus=Error. Unexpected exception caught from test java/io/BufferedReader/Lines.java\: java.lang.NullPointerException
sections=script_messages Details

#section:script_messages
----------messages:(0/0)----------

#section:Details
----------messages:(0/0)----------
----------Stack trace:(10/672)----------
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.sun.javatest.regtest.TestNGReporter.getMatcher(TestNGReporter.java:97)
	at com.sun.javatest.regtest.TestNGReporter.add(TestNGReporter.java:80)
	at com.sun.javatest.regtest.TestNGAction.endAction(TestNGAction.java:131)
	at com.sun.javatest.regtest.MainAction.run(MainAction.java:260)
	at com.sun.javatest.regtest.RegressionScript.run(RegressionScript.java:149)
	at com.sun.javatest.Script.run(Script.java:228)
	at com.sun.javatest.DefaultTestRunner.runTest(DefaultTestRunner.java:174)
	at com.sun.javatest.DefaultTestRunner.access$100(DefaultTestRunner.java:43)
	at com.sun.javatest.DefaultTestRunner$1.run(DefaultTestRunner.java:66)
result: Not run. Test running...

test result: Error. Unexpected exception caught from test java/io/BufferedReader/Lines.java: java.lang.NullPointerException