Classes on the stack trace (was: getElementClass/StackTraceElement, was: @CallerSensitive public API, was: sun.reflect.Reflection.getCallerClass)

Nick Williams nicholas+openjdk at nicholaswilliams.net
Tue Jul 30 23:11:20 UTC 2013

Quick question for those of you that know anything about @CallerSensitive...

After looking at the code and experimenting some, I've discovered that getCallerClass() doesn't actually keep going until it finds the first method without @CallerSensitive. It only returns the caller of the caller. So, for example:

Stack 1
@CallerSensitive Reflection.getCallerClass()
@CallerSensitive MyClass1.method1();
MyClass2.method2();

In this case, getCallerClass() returns MyClass2.class. BUT:

Stack 2
@CallerSensitive Reflection.getCallerClass()
@CallerSensitive MyClass1.method1();
@CallerSensitive MyClass2.method2();
MyClass3.method3();

In this case, getCallerClass() STILL returns MyClass2.class. Based on the plain-language meaning of @CallerSensitive, I would expect getCallerClass() to return MyClass3.class in the second case. But, indeed, the JavaDoc for Reflection.getCallerClass() says: "Returns the class of the caller of the method calling this method." So, then, what's the point of @CallerSensitive? Looking at the code:

   vframeStream vfst(thread);
   // Cf. LibraryCallKit::inline_native_Reflection_getCallerClass
   for (int n = 0; !vfst.at_end(); vfst.security_next(), n++) {
     Method* m = vfst.method();
     assert(m != NULL, "sanity");
     switch (n) {
     case 0:
       // This must only be called from Reflection.getCallerClass
       if (m->intrinsic_id() != vmIntrinsics::_getCallerClass) {
         THROW_MSG_NULL(vmSymbols::java_lang_InternalError(), "JVM_GetCallerClass must only be called from Reflection.getCallerClass");
       }
       // fall-through
     case 1:
       // Frame 0 and 1 must be caller sensitive.
       if (!m->caller_sensitive()) {
         THROW_MSG_NULL(vmSymbols::java_lang_InternalError(), err_msg("CallerSensitive annotation expected at frame %d", n));
       }
       break;
     default:
       if (!m->is_ignored_by_security_stack_walk()) {
         // We have reached the desired frame; return the holder class.
         return (jclass) JNIHandles::make_local(env, m->method_holder()->java_mirror());
       }
       break;
     }
   }

It seems to me that @CallerSensitive is completely pointless. This is ALWAYS going to return the first non-reflection frame after frame 1, regardless of @CallerSensitive. If @CallerSensitive were really supposed to have an actual purpose, it would seem to me that the last part should be this:

       if (!m->is_ignored_by_security_stack_walk() && !m->caller_sensitive()) {
         // We have reached the desired frame; return the holder class.
         return (jclass) JNIHandles::make_local(env, m->method_holder()->java_mirror());
       }

Am I completely missing the point here? I just don't see a reason for @CallerSensitive. The code could do the exact same thing it currently is without @CallerSensitive (except for enforcing that frame 1 is @CallerSensitive, which really isn't necessary if you aren't using it in further frames).

Thoughts?

Nick