Review request: JDK-8020191 System.getProperty( " os.name " ) returns " Windows NT (unknown) " on Windows 8.1

Alexey Utkin alexey.utkin at oracle.com
Wed Jul 31 12:53:30 UTC 2013

Bug description:
     https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-8020191
     http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=8020191

Here is the suggested fix:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~uta/openjdk-webrevs/JDK-8020191/webrev.00/

6.3 internal version number by values "Windows 8.1" for workstation OS,
and "Windows Server 2012 R2" for server OS.
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn302074.aspx)

But we get a chance to have a wrong OS name due to MS compatibility
problems.

Here is the problem description:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/windowsazure/zh-tw/c471de52-611f-435d-ab44-56064e5fd7d5/windows-81-preview-getversionex-reports-629200

and MS respond:
     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn302074.aspx

Quotations:
"In Windows 8.1 Preview, we have introduced a new API, Versionhelpers
API, that deprecates the need for using GetVersion(Ex) APIs. This
addresses difficulties in interpreting the numerical value returned by
the GetVersion(Ex) APIs."

"The internal version number for Windows 8.1 Preview and Windows Server
2012 R2 Preview is 6.3. Only apps that are targeting Windows 8.1 will
receive a return value of 6.3. Those apps that are not targeted for
Windows 8.1 will receive a return value of 6.2 unless previously shimmed
as discussed below."

Regards,
-uta