RFR: JDK-8013827 and JDK-8011950, , java.io.File.createTempFile enters infinite loop when passed invalid data

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon Jun 3 10:23:20 UTC 2013

On 02/06/2013 03:16, Dan Xu wrote:
> :
>
> As for the SpecialTempFile testcase, I wonder whether these regression
> tests may happen to be used to test earlier JDK versions. In that
> case, the thread pool will help the test framework find the test
> failure easily. Otherwise, I agree it adds extra overhead into this test.
My concern is mostly the timeout as we've had so many problems with
tests failing intermittently when the machine is very busy.  In this
case, I could imagine this failing when there are tests running
concurrently in a pool VMs and at the same time competing with AV
software on Windows that is sucking the life out of the system.

In general, it's not always possible to write a test that behaves well
when run an unpatched-JDK. Deadlocks, crashes, and hangs are just some
examples where a test might timeout or jtreg needs to spin up a new VM
to continue the test execution. So while important for one-off
verification then it's probably not worth spending too much effort
trying to get it to behaves well on an JDK that doesn't have the fix.

-Alan.