RFR (S) CR 7177472: JSR292: MethodType interning penalizes scalability

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sat Jun 8 10:21:14 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 12:01 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> (posting this to hotspot-dev@ and cc-ing core-libs-dev@, as Christian T.
> suggested offline)
>
> Hi guys,

Hi Aleksey,

> The fix for scalability problem is here:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~shade/7177472/webrev.00/

in add, the do/while does something a little weird, if putIfAbsent
returns null,
interned is equals to elem, there is no need to do a e.get() in that case,
I would prefer a code like this:

             T interned;
             do {
                 expungeStaleElements();
                 WeakEntry<T> e = new WeakEntry<>(elem, stale);
                 WeakEntry<T> exist = map.putIfAbsent(e, e);
                 interned = (exist == null)? elem: exist.get();
             } while (interned == null);
             return interned;

The cast to WeakEntry in expungeStaleElements is not needed.

In WeakEntry.equals, the null check is not needed because null
instanceof WeakEntry returns false,
and you don't need to cast obj.get() to a WeakEntry<T> given you only to
call equals on entry.get().
So the code should be:

            public boolean equals(Object obj) {
              if (!(obj instanceof WeakEntry)) {
                return false;
              }
                Object that = ((WeakEntry<?>)obj).get();
              Object mine = get();
              return (that == null || mine == null)? this == obj: mine.equals(that);
          }

Otherwise, it looks good.

Rémi