RFR : 8016446 : (m) Add override forEach/replaceAll to HashMap, Hashtable, IdentityHashMap, WeakHashMap, TreeMap

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 06:42:43 UTC 2013

On 06/13/2013 01:14 AM, Mike Duigou wrote:
> On Jun 12 2013, at 15:49 , Remi Forax wrote:
>
>> On 06/12/2013 11:23 PM, Mike Duigou wrote:
>>> Hello all;
>>>
>>> This patch adds optimized implementations of Map.forEach and Map.replaceAll to HashMap, Hashtable, IdentityHashMap, WeakHashMap, TreeMap
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mduigou/JDK-8016446/0/webrev/
>>>
>>> The implementations traverse the map more efficiently than the default iterator implementation and sometimes avoid creation of transient Map.Entry instances. The fast-fail behaviour of the default implementation is retained.
>>>
>>> Mike
>> Hi Mike,
>> funnily I was writing HashMap.forEach/LinkedHashMap.forEach at the same time.
>> (you need also to override forEach in LinkedHashMap because the one you inherits from HashMap doesn't use the linked list of entries).
> I don't think we need to offer a guarantee of ordering for the forEach but using the linked list is probably more efficient.

The javadoc for Map.forEach says differently:

default void forEach(BiConsumer  <http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/function/BiConsumer.html><? superK  <http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/Map.html>,? superV  <http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/Map.html>> action)

Performs the given action on each entry in this map, in the order
entries are returned by an entry set iterator (which may be unspecified)

Regards, Peter