RFR : 8016446 : (m) Add override forEach/replaceAll to HashMap, Hashtable, IdentityHashMap, WeakHashMap, TreeMap

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Fri Jun 14 10:12:27 UTC 2013

On 06/14/2013 11:20 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:56 PM, Remi Forax <forax at univ-mlv.fr> wrote:

>>> Assuming just one thread do you agree that in all of the above examples the only way the list can be interfered with is by the Consumer instance e -> l.add(s) ?
>> yes, as I said to Mike, what is important IMO is that the semantics of forEach and the semantics of for(:) should be the same.

>>> The ArrayList.spliterator.forEachRemaining implementation also checks at the end.
>> Given that a spliterator is something new which is weaker than an iterator, the semantics can be relaxed.
> In terms of traversal I don't see a spliterator from an ArrayList being weaker than an iterator from an ArrayList. I would argue Iterator has a weaker model of traversal.

I was taking about spliterator in general, not the one of ArrayList
which can not be weaker as I have explained below.

> The following does not throw CME:
>
>              List<Integer> l = new ArrayList<>(Arrays.asList(1, 2));
>              for (Integer i : l) {
>                  l.remove(1);  // 2 is never encountered
>              }
>
> Where as the following does:
>
>              List<Integer> l = new ArrayList<>(Arrays.asList(1, 2, 3));
>              for (Integer i : l) {
>                  l.remove(1);
>              }
>
> Because the hasNext implementation does not check for modification. It's sad this also occurs for the default implementation of Iterable.forEach :-(
>
> This behaviour sucks.

devil advocate: why exactly, the iteration is finished when you remove
the element ?

> It would be a shame for overriding forEach/forEachRemaining implementations to conform to such behaviour when they can implement stronger/consistent failure guarantees.

While I could agree with you in theory, in practice I have seen several
times codes that rely on this behaviour,
usually there is a bunch of method calls between the for loop and the
list.remove() so this is not something that can be easily fixed.
And because I think it's more important that users should be able to use
either for(:) or forEach without thinking too much,
because otherwise nodoby will "modernize" their code, we have no choice
but stick to the iterator behaviour for forEach
i.e. no modCount check at the end.

>> For ArrayList, because you can see a stale entry if you mutate during a forEachRemaining,
>> you have no choice but checking at each step.
> A CME does not make any hard guarantees, thus cannot be used for correctness. I think this comes down to a balance of performance and how fast the fail-fast should be.

yes, declare modCount volatile and your performance vanish :(

>   I can definitely see an argument for failing ASAP so as not to report dodgy data.
>
> Paul.

cheers,
Rémi