JDK 9 RFR of 8039474: sun.misc.CharacterDecoder.decodeBuffer should use getBytes(iso8859-1)

Mike Duigou mike.duigou at oracle.com
Thu Apr 10 17:54:58 UTC 2014

Shouldn't we be using the platform default character set rather than iso8859-1?

This change will change the charset used for all platforms not using iso885901 as their default.

It is certainly odd that sun.misc.CharacterEncoder(byte) and sun.misc.CharacterDecoder(String) are not symmetrical but this seems like a serious historical wart we might need to preserve.

Mike