JDK 9 RFR of 8039474: sun.misc.CharacterDecoder.decodeBuffer should use getBytes(iso8859-1)

Mike Duigou mike.duigou at oracle.com
Thu Apr 10 18:05:02 UTC 2014

It won't be symmetrical unless the default charset is ISO8859-1.

We can't change sun.misc.CharacterEncoder(byte) to use the default charset because it has the longstanding behaviour of encoding to ISO8859-1 and I would argue we can't change sun.misc.CharacterDecoder(String) from using the default charset because that behaviour is also longstanding. Strange, wrongheaded and nonsensical behaviour, but longstanding.

"Isn't all this sun.misc stuff going go away soon anyway?" <-- wishful thinking

Mike