JDK 9 RFR of 8039474: sun.misc.CharacterDecoder.decodeBuffer should use getBytes(iso8859-1)

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Thu Apr 10 19:17:22 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014 12:03 PM, Chris Hegarty wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2014, at 19:50, Xueming Shen<xueming.shen at oracle.com>  wrote:

>>> There is a cache in StringCoder that is only used in the byte[] getBytes(String charsetName) but not in the byte[] getBytes(Charset charset) case. The rationale in StringCodding::decode(Charset cs, byte[] ba, int off, int len) may need to be revisited as it is certainly surprising that the string constant charset name usage is faster than the CharSet constant.
>> It's a surprising :-) In theory you can't cache the de/encoder of a charset from
>> external world, as the same charset might return a different de/encoder next
>> time. So it is decided to not cache the de/encoder for a coming charset back
>> then. It might be reasonable to cache those from the StandardCharsets though.
> I would say that it is more than reasonable. ;-) And it is surprising to me too that this usage is not as fast as a constant string.

Charset.equals() does explicitly mention "same canonical name" as below

     /**
      * Tells whether or not this object is equal to another.
      *
      * <p> Two charsets are equal if, and only if, they have the same canonical
      * names.  A charset is never equal to any other type of object. </p>
      *
      * @return <tt>true</tt> if, and only if, this charset is equal to the
      *          given object
      */

But it is very reasonable :-) to assume someone might pass in a home-made
charset implementation with the same canonical name as the one in our/jdk
charset repository. Then we have another debate on which one should be
used in this case.

-Sherman