Covariant overrides on the Buffer Hierachy

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sat Apr 19 16:00:14 UTC 2014

Am 19.04.2014 10:09, schrieb Richard Warburton:
> Thanks for the feedback guys - its most appreciated and I'll take a look
> through the detailed linked you provided.
>
> Ulf posted several links, but these seem mostly related to language change

Not all of them, but yes, mostly.

>> proposals related to implicit method invocation chaining. I don't think
>> these proposals are active at the moment, so I'd suggest that you pursue a
>> library-only change.
>
> I had no intention in my original email to broaden the scope of this change
> to include changing the type system itself! I was only really thinking
> about a library level change, though I appreciate the links Ulf, thanks.

My proposed language change would ...
- include the benefit of covariant overrides
- solve situations, where covariant overrides don't help
- need less byte code
- have less backport issues
- avoid massive API reengineering
- cover methods which don't return this today
- offer interesting extensions e.g. "leading dot" syntax

Thanks for reading my proposal.

-Ulf