RFR: 8035584: (s) ArrayList(c) should avoid inflation if c is empty - (toArray spec)

Jason Mehrens jason_mehrens at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:27:44 UTC 2014

MIke,
 The inner T.V. lawyer in me has been trying and find some loophole that will allow returning the same empty array from toArray.  The spec states "..no references to it are maintained by this collection".  The Saul Goodman loophole is that "this collection" implies object member reference.  Which means that returning an empty array held by static field would be legal under that interpretation. So that leaves the final hurdle which is that the spec states "...method must allocate a new array...".  I  don't see a way around that unless the spec is changed.  I can appreciate the reluctance to change spec as you pointed out bellow. Jason