Guidance about binary / data files for JTREG tests

Brian Burkhalter brian.burkhalter at oracle.com
Mon Apr 28 17:53:19 UTC 2014

This follows from my posting of last week

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2014-April/026604.html

Firstly, I was informed that there are not supposed to be binary files in the jdk9/jdk/test tree. My webrev listed in the above post includes one such file, a GZIPped text file of prime numbers. Apparently this file as-is should not be checked in to the repository.

I notice however that there are already a number of binary files checked in under test. The list given below includes some of these. All the files in the list are larger than the binary file in the webrev in question.

To get to the point, this raises a few questions:

1 - Binary test data files are in fact illegal to check in, correct?
2 - What is the size limit for test data files which may be checked in?
3 - Is there any plan to create some well known location outside the repository where large test data files may be hosted for access by tests?

Meanwhile I suppose that I could convert my test file and use the sun.misc.UU{En,De}coder classes to handle it in the test.

If the answers to the above questions are already included in some OpenJDK FAQ that I overlooked, please excuse the redundancy and noise that this message represents.

Thanks,

Brian

test/com/sun/crypto/provider/TLS/prfdata.txt
test/com/sun/net/httpserver/docs/test1/largefile.txt
test/java/lang/annotation/UnitTest.java
test/java/lang/instrument/BigClass.java
test/java/math/BigDecimal/DivideMcTests.java
test/java/util/Locale/tools/language-subtag-registry.txt
test/sun/net/www/protocol/jar/foo1.jar
test/sun/nio/cs/EUC_TW_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/EUC_CN_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/EUC_KR_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/GBK_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM1381_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM1383_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM930_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM933_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM935_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM937_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM939_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM942_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM943_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM948_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM949_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM950_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/IBM970_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/Johab_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/MS932DB.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/MS936_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/MS949_OLD.java
test/sun/nio/cs/OLD/MS950_OLD.java
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-amd64/freebl3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-amd64/nss3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-amd64/nssckbi.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-amd64/softokn3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-amd64/sqlite3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-i586/freebl3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-i586/nss3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-i586/nssckbi.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/lib/windows-i586/sqlite3.dll
test/sun/security/pkcs11/nss/src/nss-3.13.1.tar.gz
test/sun/security/pkcs11/tls/prfdata.txt
test/sun/text/resources/LocaleData
test/sun/tools/jhat/hprof.bin
test/sun/tools/jhat/jmap.bin
test/tools/pack200/pack200-verifier/data/golden.jar