ObjectIn/OutputStream improvements

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 01:53:24 UTC 2014

One would have to measure of course, but intuitively, it seems like a good
change to reuse the stringbuilder.  There's also the issue that the local
stringbuilder before was default-sized, and for large content, it would
generate even more garbage as the underlying array is expanded.

The "temporary short lived allocations are cheap" is, unfortunately, a
semi-myth, or at least somewhat misguided.  It's true that individually
they may be cheap, but they have macro effects.  The higher the allocation
rate, the more young GCs we get.  Every young GC (on hotspot collectors, at
least) is a STW pause.  Bringing threads to a safepoint has some cost,
especially if there are many of them on large many-core  machines. With
larger heaps these days, young gens tend to be larger as well.  When GC
runs, it trashes the cpu caches for the mutators, so when they resume, they
may get cache misses.  At each young GC, some objects may get promoted
prematurely to tenured.

So no, I wouldn't say it's quite inexpensive :).  When you have no option
but to allocate, it's nice to have collectors that can handle those
necessary allocations well.  Otherwise, if it's a perf sensitive area and
avoiding allocations doesn't obfuscate or make the code significantly less
maintainable, it's usually better to avoid allocations.

Just my $.02

Sent from my phone