JDK 9 RFR of JDK-8033416: Remove sun.misc.FpUtils

Joe Darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Sat Feb 1 18:13:32 UTC 2014

Hello,

Back in JDK 5, the sun.misc.FpUtils class was added to provide low-level
floating-point manipulations methods needed to write tests of the math
library. Over time, those low-level functions have generally been added
to the standard Java library and most of the methods in FpUtils have
thus been deprecated.

Therefore, I think the start of JDK 9 is a good time to actually remove
FpUtils from the platform; please review my change which does this:

     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~darcy/8033416.0/

The implementation of the ilogb and isUnordered methods was moved into
the "Tests" helper class in the math library test directory.

(At the recommendation of Alan in the bug report, I verified that the fx
jar files do not reference the FpUtils class.)

Thanks,

-Joe