Random access in ArrayDeque

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Feb 7 18:07:42 UTC 2014

Just want to say that we've also had the need to implement an
array-backed Deque+List; we found no surprises implementing it and thus
I believe that extending ArrayDeque to implement List would be a
positive change.  Failing that, a combined ArrayListAndDeque class seems
like a good idea.

I think that calling it "Masters' thesis" material is perhaps
overblowing the complexity a bit though. ;)  Given that the basic
algorithmic complexity of ArrayList is well-understood and is
well-suited to many (some would say "most") applications, going for a
O(sqrt(N)) middle insert/remove complexity would be something I would
consider "scope creep"; LinkedList is usually a fine choice for these cases.

--
- DML