Draft JEP on enhanced volatiles

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat Feb 8 12:50:39 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 08:21 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:

> I think "wide" 2-CAS is completely separate from transactional 2-CAS.  The
> former isn't really a 2-CAS at all; just a wide single-CAS.

Right; thanks. I added:

This proposal focuses on the control of atomicity and ordering for
single variables. We expect the resulting specifications to be
amenable for extension in natural ways for additional primitive-like
value types, if they are ever defined for Java. However, it is not a
general-purpose transaction mechanism for controlling accesses and
updates to multiple variables.  Alternative forms for expressing and
implementing such constructions may be explored in the course of this
or other JEPs, and/or may be the subject of further JEPs.