RFR 9: 8034903: Add Logging of Process.start arguments and resulting pid

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 10:26:20 UTC 2014

On 02/13/2014 10:26 PM, roger riggs wrote:

> Having folks stumbling over process creation and problems of quoting,
> especially on windows, it seems useful to log the native commands and
> arguments.
> They are proposed to be logged using the PlatformLogger at Level.FINE
> which will not be logged by default. The environment is useful in some
> cases,
> but verbose, that it should be Logged at FINER.  The pid of the spawned
> process
> logged as well for traceability.

It may make sense to expose something like getProcessID() to the public
because it is independently useful on systems with /proc.

In the src/solaris version, Arrays::toString(Object[]) does not quote
the arguments, so the argument boundary is lost in the logging.  I think
something that performs quoting (using the Java language rules, not
shell) would be helpful in this context.  Although on non-Windows
platforms, this information can easily be obtained with tools such as
strace or truss.