RFR (JAXP): 8035469 : Xerces Update: EncodingMap does not recognise Java-style encodings Cp1141-Cp1149

David Li david.x.li at oracle.com
Sat Mar 1 18:12:10 UTC 2014

Joe probably knows more about this, but we did some preliminary
investigation summarized below.

One test that was considered was creating an XML file encoded in one of
the formats and then seeing if the parser would process the file after
our updates were added.  This looked like it requires generating sample
XML files with characters from the actual encoding, which we could not
figure out in a reasonable amount of time.  It's not sufficient to
specify the encoding in the XML header (<?xml version=\"1.0\"
encoding=\"CP1140\"?>, also tried IBM01140) if all the text in the file
is UTF-8, since the parser complains.  It was decided that since the
changes were minor, and the original Xerces bug did not include any
tests or any way of reproducing the error, we would not spend too much
time on the issue.  For reference, the IBM01140-IBM01149 encodings look
like various European languages:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml.

- David