JEP 193: Enhanced Volatiles

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Wed Mar 5 16:50:44 UTC 2014

> Why not go for something far less intrusive then?

I'm all for unintrusive.  Though note that the intrusiveness metric on
language features I(f) is not uniform across observers :)

> Here's my straw man
> proposal:
>
> Add an annotation that can be placed on native methods to synthesize
> atomic accessor methods.

I suspect you were expecting this response: we don't add language
semantics through annotations.

I'm not trying to frustrate you; evolving a language with millions of
users is really, really hard.  And one of the things that makes it hard
is recognizing our intrinsic conflicts of interest between "what good
will this do me" and "what harm will it do others."