[9] RFR (S): 8036117: MethodHandles.catchException doesn't handle VarargsCollector right (8034120 failed)

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:09:33 UTC 2014

On 03/11/2014 03:05 PM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
>>> You raised totally valid question.
>>>
>>> I marked MethodHandleImpl.prepend with @Hidden annotation because it
>>> is internal implementation detail of JSR292.
>>>
>>> You are right that normally a callee can't see it on stack. *But it's
>>> possible to observe it when stack trace is queried from a separate
>>> thread. *
>>
>> Is this good or bad? It enables tools to see it (for example sampling
>> profilers, etc...).
> For the purposes of sampling profilers (and other monitoring tools)
> @Hidden should be completely ignored.  These tools should use
> appropriate API to get the data.
>
> I looked into the code and @Hidden has even less effect than I thought
> initially. It affects very limited set of cases - only users of
> JVM_FillInStackTrace (when filling exception's stack trace,
> Thread.dumpStack()). Calls to Thread.getStackTrace() from a separate
> thread omit stack trace filtering.

So all you're achieving by annotating prepend() method is that any
exception stack trace, in case it is thrown inside the prepend() method,
will hide where it was thrown from. In case all LambdaForm frames
leading to the prepend() method were also hidden, the exception would
appear to be thrown from the invocation of the MH...

Regards, Peter