RFR: 8037097: (s) Improve diagnosability of test failures for java/util/Arrays/Correct.java

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Mar 12 07:56:38 UTC 2014

On 11/03/2014 22:31, Mike Duigou wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> The test java/util/Arrays/Correct.java (yeah, great name...) has failed intermittently in nightly testing. Unfortunately the currently committed version does not provide much information on the failure condition. This changeset is a renovation of the test to hopefully provide additional clues to the root cause should the test fail again. It also adds somewhat more thorough testing as well as generifies and TestNGifies the source.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mduigou/JDK-8037097/0/webrev/
>
> Mike
I don't think I've ever seen this test fail. The stack trace in the bug
report is a big odd, I would have thought it would show more Correct
frames. From what I can tell then the test run where this was reported
is -agentvm -concurrency so potentially random as to the tests that ran
in the VM before this test. Also the test is using random array sizes.
It's hard to know what this issue might be, maybe you are chasing a
hotspot bug, maybe a subtle bug in stuipdSort. The re-implementation of
the test in the webrev looks okay but if you are chasing a hotspot bug
then it might not happen with the new test. My only comment on the
updated test is that the array size would be useful to have in the
output (if it's not in the output when the test fails).

-Alan