RFR [8014066] Mistake in documentation of ArrayList#removeRange

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Sat Mar 15 13:24:23 UTC 2014

We understand the intent of removeRange better now. I agree that making
further improvements is tricky.

I think we can all agree that the initial patch
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8014066/0/webrev/jdk.patch
is a clear improvement (simple spec bug fix)
fromIndex == size  must be OK because it results from a call to clear on an
already empty list.
Maybe we should check that unambitious fix in first.

Changing the spec for removeRange to add more requirements on subclass
implementations seems wrong because there are existing implementations and
because the (underspecified) contract is that removeRange will only be
called from a call to clear, which in turn will ensure that the indices are
legal. Adding more bounds checks now will just add overhead without
catching user mistakes in practice.

Improving the spec to clarify the contract as originally designed by Josh
would be good, but it will be hard to find good wording and get approval
from all the interested parties.

Software is hard.