JDK-8036003: Add variable not to separate debug information.

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 14:54:32 UTC 2014

On 03/19/2014 01:51 PM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> On 2014-03-18 19:25, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 03/18/2014 06:22 PM, Andrew Hughes wrote:
>>> The intent was for #3 to cover this case (i.e. whatever Oracle does now)
>>> and for #2 to be what the GNU/Linux distributions want (i.e. binaries with
>>> all debuginfo generated and left intact so they can do their own stripping).
>> Mmm, but maybe that will break things when debuginfo isn't installed.
>> In fact, I already know that it has broken some things.  So it's not
>> ideal.
>
> Which case is it that will break? #3 or #2? What would an ideal solution
> be for you?

I think the problem was that jstack and jmap didn't work until the
debuginfo package was installed.  This tells me that the debuginfo
stripping in our Linux build system is too aggressive for this purpose.

I think that's something we must fix ourselves.  What we really
need from OpenJDK is a way to build with complete debuginfo in
both binaries and jarfiles.

Andrew.