JDK 9 RFR of 6375303: Review use of caching in BigDecimal

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Tue Mar 25 08:58:58 UTC 2014

On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:30 PM, Mike Duigou <mike.duigou at oracle.com> wrote:
> The other issue here, and why this thread has gone on so long, is that we've been trying to establish what the best idiom is (for 2014-????) for this lazy initialization situation so that we can reuse it with less thought and review. In this case the chances of race are fairly low and the cost of extra layoutChars is bearable. In other cases where we are likely to use the same idiom this is less likely true. Peter's current implementation has the advantage that is the best-right answer for lazy initialization even in the contended/expensive case. I look forward to revisiting this again when the new JMM primitives are available. :-)

This is another example of a stable variable.

I would like to re-iterate my scepticism that such changes are necessary in this case (i am not sure if it is possible to create a benchmark that could better exacerbate the concurrent overlap of calls to layoutChars). But, i do agree the discussion has been useful and interesting.

Paul.