ProcessReaper: single thread reaper

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 16:50:57 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 05:25 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the comments, I'll fix the races conditions, I intended
> to go back to the dedicated thread but wanted to check for scalability
> in the case of a large number of threads and non-trivial termination
> overheads
> where the streams had to be drained.

Why does stream need to be drained right away (in reaper thread)? Isn't
it enough for child pid to be waited upon and let the client of the
stream pull from the stream until it reaches the EOF or not if it
doesn't need the data... Is this just to be able to reclaim the file
descriptor of the pipe right away? Wouldn't FileInputStream's close()
method do the job (or finalize() if user forgets to call close())? There
would be a native resource leakage if user forgets to call close() AND
retains the reference to InputStream, but this is the same with all
normal streams like FileInputStream...

Regards, Peter