[9] RFR 8074840: Resolve disabled warnings for libjli and libjli_static

Mikael Vidstedt mikael.vidstedt at oracle.com
Wed Apr 1 17:22:44 UTC 2015

New webrev available here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mikael/webrevs/8074840/webrev.02/webrev/

Changes include:

* Excluded ergo_i586.c in the makefile on macosx instead of using
ifdef-style exclusion
* Updated to fix a newly introduced (currently silenced) warning in
parse_manifest.c:readAt(), introduced by the change [1] for JDK-8073158 [2]

The change to have readAt take an unsigned int is not exactly pretty, so
I'm again taking suggestions on alternative solutions. The underlying
reason for making that change is again because read on Windows uses an
unsigned int for count instead of the more common size_t. I played
around with several different ways of working around this (I even
introduced a JLI_Read at some point) but after chatting with mr. Holmes
I decided to cut back on the changes and instead just change the
prototype of readAt to also take an unsigned int in the spirit of
"common denominator". All the current uses of readAt() can AFAICT
tolerate this, and if they don't the problem is already there on
windows. Happy to hear your thoughts though.

Also, some comments below.

On 2015-03-29 21:07, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> On 21/03/2015 4:02 AM, Mikael Vidstedt wrote:
>>
>> Please review the following change which fixes a number of native
>> compilation warnings in files related to libjli.

>> Webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mikael/webrevs/8074840/webrev.01/webrev/
>
> Mostly looks okay, but I find some of these odd. For example:
>
> src/java.base/share/native/libjli/java.c
>
> if (threadStackSize < STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM)
>
> becomes:
>
>  if (threadStackSize < (jlong)STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM) {
>
> but integer promotion would make that cast implicitly. And why should
> the comparison cause a warning when the subsequent assignment does
> not? What was the actual warning and on what compiler?

Real warning - gcc on linux among others:

jdk/src/java.base/share/native/libjli/java.c:792:33: warning: comparison
between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
              if (threadStackSize < STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM) {
                                  ^

As you can see the warning is generated because of the unsigned vs
signed-ness in combination with a compare; the assignment does not
generate a corresponding warning. The unsigned type comes from the fact
that STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM which is based on the KB macro which in turn is
an unsigned long (UL) constant. One alternative would of course be to
cast the (macro) definition of STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM instead, or not use KB
to start with, but I'm not sure that's any better than having the cast
here. I really don't have a strong opinion though.

> ---
>
> I second Kumar's query about the ergo_i586.c changes. Seems to me that
> if this is causing a problem on non Solaris/Linux then the problem is
> in the makefile (jdk/lib/CoreLibraries.gmk) because this file should
> be being excluded on platforms it is not used.

Indeed - fixed!

> ---
>
> src/java.base/windows/native/libjli/cmdtoargs.c
>
> Surely charLength should be a ptrdiff_t ?

Well aren't we picky? Fixed :)

> ---
>
> src/java.base/windows/native/libjli/java_md.c
>
> Aside: I find it quite bizarre that the vsnprintf family of methods
> take a size_t as the count but return an int, when on success it has
> to return the number of characters written!

Fully agree. Maybe _today_ is a good day to change the return type of
all printf functions? ;)

Cheers,
Mikael

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/jdk/rev/cb94a46ab47b