[9] RFR of 8078672: Print and allow setting by Java property seeds used to initialize Random instances in java.lang numerics tests

Brian Burkhalter brian.burkhalter at oracle.com
Tue Apr 28 00:44:19 UTC 2015

Hi Joe,

On Apr 27, 2015, at 5:32 PM, joe darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com> wrote:

> The patch looks pretty good. A few questions / comments:
>
> The test ParseHexFloatingPoint.java didn't get the "(use -Dseed=X to set PRNG seed)" addition; was that intentional?

No, it was an oversight. Thanks for catching it. I thought it had been there. Possibly something happened in moving the path to a different issue.

> To save some space on the @summary line
>
>    Numerical tests for hexadecimal inputs to parseDouble, parseFloat
>
> could be replaced with
>
>    Numerical tests for hexadecimal inputs to parse{Double, Float}

Will change.

> Could the java/math/RandomSeed class you added for java.math be used for this changeset instead of another another class with a large subset of the functionality?
>
> Perhaps the random number handling should be moved up to somewhere under jdk/test/lib? That would more easily let other type who want to handling random numbers in a uniform way use the library (at the cost of slightly more complicated jtreg tagging).

I’ll investigate tomorrow whether perhaps this functionality can be moved to a higher level with removal of duplication of code. The java/math/RandomSeed class changeset was the first in which I used @library so I should look over the jtreg tag list again.

Thanks,

Brian