JEP 238: Multi-Version JAR Files

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Feb 25 17:45:12 UTC 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 13:30, Paul Sandoz <paul.sandoz at oracle.com> wrote:
> Even in the modular world i will expect class scanning will be used. While we can now iterate reliably over classes in the image i don't believe that functionality is made available for classes in modules on the module path.

To be honest, being able to reliably iterate over classes in a module
is the most interesting potential feature about modules in general.
Its such an unreliable pain at the moment that it really needs
tackling, and it is a very effective tool in application design in
languages that have it (like Fantom).

On 25 February 2015 at 16:27, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 2/12/2015 5:59 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>> I would expect IDEs to have some considerable work to do.
> Agree on the "work" part, but I doubt it is "considerable".

In Eclipse, there is a 1:1 mapping between a project and a JDK
compiler/version. Same in Maven. And no doubt elsewhere. I don't think
making that one to many instead is likely to be a particularly small
change.

Stephen