Q: 8071326: ThreadPoolExecutor in endless thread creation loop if workQueue.take() throws RuntimeException

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:38:01 UTC 2015

On 01/28/2015 06:35 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> It's hard for me to think of something we could add to the javadoc that
> would actually help future users enough to offset the confusion of adding
> subtleties of rarely encountered behavior.  I also don't see an easy way to
> improve the pool's reaction to exceptions coming from the queue.  Right now
> the reporting mechanism is the uncaught exception handler, which is under
> the user's control, although it is not obvious.

Well, there already exists these paragraphs in the class-level
ThreadPoolExecutor javadoc:

  * <dt>Hook methods</dt>
  *
  * <dd>This class provides {@code protected} overridable
  * {@link #beforeExecute(Thread, Runnable)} and
  * {@link #afterExecute(Runnable, Throwable)} methods that are called
  * before and after execution of each task.  These can be used to
  * manipulate the execution environment; for example, reinitializing
  * ThreadLocals, gathering statistics, or adding log entries.
  * Additionally, method {@link #terminated} can be overridden to perform
  * any special processing that needs to be done once the Executor has
  * fully terminated.
  *
  * <p>If hook or callback methods throw exceptions, internal worker
  * threads may in turn fail and abruptly terminate.</dd>

The last paragraph could explicitly spell-out what are the "callback"
methods. That would be enough, I think.

Regards, peter