RFR: 8075810: LogManager.readConfiguration may throw undocumented IllegalArgumentException

Lance Andersen lance.andersen at oracle.com
Tue Mar 24 15:01:35 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel,

This looks OK but I might suggest clarifying that the cause could be set in the javadoc.  Now that being said, I am not sure how consistent we are across the JDK or just make the assumption people will check the cause if they desire.

As far as backporting, unless it really needed, I would probably would not as a change such as this typically should be done as part of an errata/MR (due to change of behavior and it is not that big of an issue).

Best
Lance
On Mar 24, 2015, at 10:42 AM, Daniel Fuchs <daniel.fuchs at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please find below a fix for
>
> 8075810: LogManager.readConfiguration may throw
>         undocumented IllegalArgumentException

> The proposed fix is to catch the IllegalArgumentException and
> wrap it in an IOException, since LogManager.readConfiguration
> is specified to throw IOException "if there are problems reading
> from the stream."
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/webrev_8075810/webrev.00/
>
> Initial discussion around the issue can be seen here:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2015-March/032348.html
>
> Question for reviewers: I will log a CCC for this - but I am wondering
>      whether I should plan to backport the fix to earlier release?
>

> best regards,
>
> -- daniel

Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
Lance.Andersen at oracle.com