[9] RFR (M): 8079205: CallSite dependency tracking is broken after sun.misc.Cleaner became automatically cleared

Vladimir Ivanov vladimir.x.ivanov at oracle.com
Tue May 12 10:56:04 UTC 2015

Peter,

>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~vlivanov/8079205/webrev.01
>
> Your Finalizator touches are good. Supplier interface is not needed as
> there is a public Reference superclass that can be used for return type
> of JavaLangRefAccess.createFinalizator(). You can remove the import for
> Supplier in Reference now.
Thanks for spotting that. Will do.

>> Recent change in sun.misc.Cleaner behavior broke CallSite context
>> cleanup.
>>
>> CallSite references context class through a Cleaner to avoid its
>> unnecessary retention.
>>
>> The problem is the following: to do a cleanup (invalidate all affected
>> nmethods) VM needs a pointer to a context class. Until Cleaner is
>> cleared (and it was a manual action, since Cleaner extends
>> PhantomReference isn't automatically cleared according to the docs),
>> VM can extract it from CallSite.context.referent field.
>
> If PhantomReference.referent wasn't cleared by VM when PhantomReference
> was equeued, could it happen that the referent pointer was still != null
> and the referent object's heap memory was already reclaimed by GC? Is
> that what JDK-8071931 is about? (I cant't see the bug - it's internal).
> In that respect the Cleaner based solution was broken from the start, as
> you did dereference the referent after Cleaner was enqueued. You could
> get a != null pointer which was pointing to reclaimed heap. In Java this
> dereference is prevented by PhantomReference.get() always returning null
> (well, nothing prevents one to read the referent field with reflection
> though).
No, the object isn't reclaimed until corresponding reference is != null.
When Cleaner wasn't automatically cleared, it was guaranteed that the
referent is alive when cleanup action happens. That is the assumption
CallSite dependency tracking is based on.

It's not the case anymore when Cleaner is automatically cleared. Cleanup
action can happen when context Class is already GCed. So, I can access
neither the context mirror class nor VM-internal InstanceKlass.

> FinalReference(s) are different in that their referent is not reclaimed
> while it is still reachable through FinalReference, which means that
> finalizable objects must undergo at least two GC cycles, with processing
> in the reference handler and finalizer threads inbetween the cycles, to
> be reclaimed. PhantomReference(s), on the other hand, can be enqueued
> and their referents reclaimed in the same GC cycle, can't they?
Since PhantomReference isn't automatically cleared, GC can't reclaim its
referent until the reference is manually cleared or PhantomReference
becomes unreachable as a result of cleanup action.
So, it's impossible to reclaim it in the same GC cycle (unless it is a
concurrent GC cycle?).

>> I experimented with moving cleanup logic into VM [1],
>
> What's the downside of that approach? I mean, why is GC-assisted
> approach better? Simpler?
IMO the more code on JDK side the better. More safety guarantees are
provided in Java code comparing to native/VM code.

Also, JVM-based approach suffers from the fact it doesn't get prompt
notification when context Class can be GCed. Since it should work with
autocleared references, there's no need in a cleanup action anymore.
By the time cleanup happens, referent can be already GCed.

That's why I switched from Cleaner to WeakReference. When
CallSite.context is cleared ("stale" context), VM has to scan all
nmethods in the code cache to find all affected nmethods.

BTW I had a private discussion with Kim Barrett who suggested an
alternative approach which doesn't require full code cache scan. I plan
to do some prototyping to understand its feasibility, since it requires
non-InstanceKlass-based nmethod dependency tracking machinery.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov