RFR 9: 8077350 Process API Updates Implementation Review

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Fri May 15 10:35:50 UTC 2015

Hi Roger,

On 05/14/2015 03:44 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 5/14/15 8:19 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> The new API using Optional(s) looks fine. In particular for the
>> ProcessHandle returning methods. They now either return
>> Stream<ProcessHandle> or Optional<ProcessHandle>.
>>
>> At some point in the development of this API, the implementation
>> introduced the AsyncExecutor to execute synchronous continuations of
>> the onExit() returned CompletableFuture(s). What was the main
>> motivation for this given that:
>> - previously, ForkJoinPoll.commonPool() was used instead that by
>> default possesses some similar characteristics (Innocuous threads
>> when SecurityManager is active)
> The AsyncExecutor also uses InnocuousThreads.

So that's not what is lost or gained by AsyncExecutor when comparing it
with commonPool().

>> - this AsyncExecutor is only effective for 1st "wave" of synchronous
>> continuations. Asynchronous continuations and synchronous
>> continuations following them will still use ForkJoinPoll.commonPool()
> Unfortunately, the common ForkJoinPool assumes that tasks queued to it
> complete relatively
> quickly and free the thread.  It does not grow the number of threads
> and is not appropriate
> for tasks that block for indefinite periods as might be need to wait
> for a Process to exit.

Ok, AsyncExecutor might be required for default implementation of
Process.onExit(). But waiting on process exit in ProcessImpl and
ProcessHandle is performed by internal 32K stack-sized reaper threads
and what we did in ProcessImpl.onExit() was this (before the AsyncExecutor):

     @Override
     public CompletableFuture<Process> onExit() {
         return ProcessHandleImpl.completion(pid, false)
                 .handleAsync((exitStatus, unusedThrowable) -> this);
     }

Which means that FJP.commonPool() thread is employed after
ProcessHandleImpl.completion() is completed. Meaning that just user code
is run by commonPool() and that code does not wait for process to exit
because it already did exit. User code might run for extended period of
time, but any use of CompletableFuture is susceptible to that abuse. Are
you afraid that users of Process API are not common CompletableFuture
users and are not aware of commonPool() constraints?

>> Would an alternative be to define two overloaded onExit() methods in
>> the style of CompletableFuture itself?
>>
>>     CompletableFuture<ProcessHandle> onExit();
>>     CompletableFuture<ProcessHandle> onExit(Executor executor);
>>
>> ...and give the user a chance to supply it's own Executor if the
>> default ForkJoinPoll.commonPool() does not fit?
> It is only one more method in PH and Process but that function is
> available from CompletableFuture
> though perhaps not as conveniently.
> The onExit method returns a CompletableFuture that has the entire
> complement of
> synchronous and async methods available to it.  The application can
> control
> where subsequent computations are performed.

That's true for xxxxAsync methods. Synchronous continuations are
executed by whichever thread executed the previous stage. We insert an
asynchronous stage to shield the internal 32K threads from user code.
What we do by executing that stage in AsyncExecutor might be desirable
when the user attaches a synchronous continuation. But when he attaches
an asynchronous one, the thread from AsyncExecutor is used just for
mapping the result into Process instance and triggering the execution of
next stage. Can we eliminate this unnecessary asynchronous stage?

What would be if we stoped pretending that user can execute a
synchronous onExit() continuation when in fact that continuation is
always attached to an asynchronous stage so it is actually asynchronous?
What if CompletableFuture had a public superclass called
AsyncCompletableFuture that only exposed .xxxxAsync() continuation
methods which returned normal CompletableFuture(s)? Such class would by
definition shield the thread that completes an AsyncCompletableFuture
from user code that attaches continuations. And user code would have
exclusive control on what type of thread executes it. Isn't this a
desirable property that jsr166 could provide? It could be useful in
other scenarios too.

The only problem with that approach is that we need a mapping stage that
"attaches" the Proses[Handle] instance to
AsyncCompletableFuture<Integer> (which is generic and returns an exit
status) to get AsyncCompletableFuture<Process[Handle]>. Such operation
could be provided by AsyncCompletableFuture as an "immediate" operation
- not taking any lambda function which needs a thread to be executed,
but a replacement object instead:

public class AsyncCompletableFuture ... {

     /**
      * Returns a new CompletionStage that, when this stage completes
      * normally, completes with the given replacementResult.
      *
      * @param replacementResult the successful completion value of the
returned
      *               CompletionStage
      * @param <U> the value's type
      * @return the new CompletionStage
      */
     public <U> AsyncCompletableFuture<U> thenReplace(U
replacementResult) { ...

I can ask on the concurrency-interest list about the feasibility of such
[Async]CompletableFuture split. Would you be interested in using
AsyncCompletableFuture if it was available?

> That convenience method could be added later when the use case and
> frequency is clearer.

I saw it only as a workaround for needing AsyncExecutor. I don't like it
either.

Regards, Peter