RFR 8080640: Reduce copying when reading JAR/ZIP entries

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Fri May 22 18:51:36 UTC 2015

On 05/22/2015 11:41 AM, Staffan Friberg wrote:

> On 05/21/2015 11:00 AM, Staffan Friberg wrote:

>>> Hi Sherman,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the comments. I agree, was starting out with bytebuffer because I was hoping to be able to cache things where the buffer was being used, but since the buffer is past along further I couldn't figure out a clean way to do it.
>>> Will rewrite it to simply just return a buffer, and only wrap it in the Resource class getByteBuffer.
>>>
>>> What would be your thought on updating the ZipFile.getInputStream to return ByteArrayInputStream for small entries? Currently I do that work outside in two places and moving it would potentially speed up others reading small entries as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Staffan
>> Just realized that my use of ByteArrayInputStream would miss Jar verification if enabled so the way to go hear would be to add it if possible to the ZipFile.getInputStream.
>>
>> //Staffan
> Hi,
>
> Here is an updated webrev which uses a byte[] directly and also uses ByteArrayInputStream in ZipFile for small entries below 128k.

I'm not sure about the benefit of doing the ByteArrayInputStream in ZipFile.getInputStream. It has
the consequence of changing the "expected" behavior of getInputStream() (instead of return an
input stream waiting for reading, it now reads all bytes in advance), something we might not want
to do in a performance tuning. Though it might be reasonable to guess everyone get an input stream
is to read all bytes from it later.

-Sherman