RFR 9: 8138696 : java.lang.ref.Cleaner - an easy to use alternative to finalization

Rezaei, Mohammad A. Mohammad.Rezaei at gs.com
Thu Oct 1 14:28:56 UTC 2015

The proposed API makes good sense for what I would consider coarse grained cleanup.

There is another significant use case for Weak/Soft references that is not covered here: weak/soft references used in cache like data structures, e.g. WeakHashMap.

Wouldn't there be significant code reuse if I could register a ReferenceQueue and get callbacks when appropriate?

(Just like other uses of this cleaner, any user of this api has to pay attention to concurrency, so WeakHashMap, as is, is not a great candidate for this).

Thanks
Moh