[concurrency-interest] Spin Loop Hint support: Draft JEP proposal

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Thu Oct 8 16:33:18 UTC 2015

2015/10/8 7:56 -0700, dl at cs.oswego.edu:

>>> class Thread { //
>>>     /**
>>>      * A hint to the platform that the current thread is momentarily
>>>      * unable to progress. ... add more guidance ...
>>>      */
>>>      void spinYield();
>
> should be:
>        public static void spinYield();

Yes -- let's keep this simple.  It's just one method, another hint
in j.l.Thread which can be ignored (or not) by the VM.

This concept seems sufficiently well understood, based on its use
in other platforms, that putting it directly into j.l.Thread is not
a huge risk.  I don't see a strong need for this to start out as a
JDK-specific API.

- Mark