Array equality, comparison and mismatch

Mike Duigou openjdk at duigou.org
Tue Oct 13 03:46:18 UTC 2015

>> - I apologize if this was discussed earlier in the thread but why is
>> the comparison of floats and doubles done by first == operator of the
>> int bits and only then the compare method ?
>
> I was being consistent with the test used for the existing equals
> methods of float[] and double[]. Note that the Float/Double.*to*Bits
> methods are intrinsic.

I guess my worry is that the == floatToIntBits would be redundant as the
implementation of compare() might have exactly the same test as it's
first step--it would be a reasonable optimization since it would have
the benefit of loading the values into registers before doing the more
expensive relational comparison.

Mike