RFC: draft API for JEP 269 Convenience Collection Factories

Timo Kinnunen timo.kinnunen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:48:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

That’s intriguing since I wrote a collections library too, covering just Map/Set/List/Stream, with immutable/mutable versions and lots of convenience methods included, but I haven’t noticed such issues. My scope is a lot smaller, of course. It’s also not beholden to the way the Collections Framework does things so I can decide List is immutable, ArrayList is mutable, both will use the same API and there won’t be any subtyping relation between them. Maybe it’s this freedom that makes the difference.

I actually have 4 uses of ArrayList.of in a smallish project where they are used for reading and generating configuration files. I get to do things like this in a few places:

ArrayList<String> lines = ArrayList.of(
  "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>",
  "<?profile version='1.0.0'?>",
  "<profile id='" + ECLIPSE_PROFILE_ID + "' timestamp='" + timestamp + "'>",
  "  <properties size='7'>",
  // more lines of prefix . . .

And also this sort of thing:

ArrayList<String> list = ArrayList.of(FILES.replaceAll("^\"|\"$", "").split("\" \"")).removeIf(String::isEmpty);
ArrayList<Path> list2 = list.map(Paths::get);

If that looks somewhat like a Stream then just imagine what the user experience is like when stepping into it in a debugger ��

More anecdotes:
Having methods taking a Collection overloaded with versions taking varargs makes the API a lot more flexible.

I chose ArrayList.of(), ArrayList.of(T t) and ArrayList.of(T...ts), and List.of(T...ts) and the [0. . .10] argument variants for List.of(T t0, ... , T tn) completely unscientifically.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10