8139891: Prepare Unsafe for true encapsulation

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Fri Oct 23 19:44:54 UTC 2015

Thanks for looking at this John. Comments inline…

On 23 Oct 2015, at 02:06, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2015, at 7:28 AM, Chris Hegarty <chris.hegarty at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> To this end I've put together a webrev containing the changes required
>> for step 1. It contains
>>   - the intrinsic aliasing,
>>   - the new internal Unsafe ( copy of sun.misc.Unsafe ),
>>   - reverts sun.misc.Unsafe to, almost, its 1.8 API,
>>   - minimal test and implementation updates, since there some usages
>>     of unaligned access that is new in the 1.9.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/unsafe_phase1/
>
> Looks good.

Thanks.

> The name jvm.internal.misc.Unsafe is begging to be split and renamed.
> See http://www.inf.usi.ch/faculty/lanza/Downloads/Mast2015a.pdf for a good example
> of how to put parts of Unsafe into logical buckets.
> But that is a task for another day.

Right. Hopefully, once we decouple from the sun.misc namespace future
refactoring will be possible.

> The VM changes will have to happen a second time when jvm.internal.misc.Unsafe
> is refactored.  It is not clear how to pivot the current changes to prepare for that,
> since the naming conventions in the JVM are very explicit about the concrete names
> of intrinsics.

Right. I just don’t want to make it, much, more difficult.

> One suggestion:  I think the Method:: is_unsafe_alias is not a useful API point.
> I suggest making that function be a local, static helper for init_intrinsic_id.
> That way it doesn't have to show up in method.hpp, and that file won't have
> to be edited when we refactor.

Thanks. Update.

> For a similar reason, I suggest changing the comments in library_call.cpp
> so that they become more vague about the location of Unsafe:

Good idea. I had this in a previous local version, but wasn’t sure
which way to go. All references, in comments, to Unsafe are now
more vague.

> -// public native void sun.misc.Unsafe.putOrderedObject(Object o, long offset, Object x);
> +-// public native void [sun|jdk.internal].misc.Unsafe.putOrderedObject(Object o, long offset, Object x);
> ++// public native void Unsafe.putOrderedObject(Object o, long offset, Object x);
>
> That way the file won't have to be re-edited if we refactor.  Same point for
> memnode.hpp and unsafe.cpp (and maybe other spots which say too much?).
> It's already good in heapDumper.cpp.  In globals.hpp it's half good and half not-good.

Done.

> BTW, I think the name SystemDictionary::internal_Unsafe_klass is future-proof in this respect.

Updated webrev:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/unsafe_phase1.01/

> Thanks for taking this on!

If you are in agreement, is it best to move this first step on and
push it into hs-rt. I can then follow up with the additional steps:
hotspot test updates in hs-rt, and the library changes in jdk9/dev,
in parallel.

-Chris.