RFR(S): 8131129: Attempt to define a duplicate BMH$Species class

Vladimir Ivanov vladimir.x.ivanov at oracle.com
Wed Oct 28 12:02:06 UTC 2015

Michael, Peter,

Thanks for detailed analysis! It was a hard one to track down :-)

Unfortunately, I don't see how the proposed change fixes the problem.

The failure occurs during SpeciesData instantiation
(BMH$SpeciesData.<init>). It means updateCache has not yet been called
from getForClass:

static SpeciesData getForClass(String types, Class<? extends
BoundMethodHandle> clazz) {
     return updateCache(types, new SpeciesData(types, clazz));
}

With your changes, updateCache is called only after successful loading
of a class. So, the cache isn't updated if there was an error during
previous attempt.

The real problem is more severe IMO. The loaded class is useless when
its initialization finishes abruptly, so there's no way to instantiate
it or reload. Right now it is manifested as a duplicate class definition
attempt, but if you avoid repeated class loading it will just fail
slightly later - the system is already broken and there's no way to
recover.

I see the following ways to proceed:
   (1) delay class initialization (fill in Species_*.SPECIES_DATA field
afterwards) and attempt to finish initialization on subsequent requests,
but skipping class loading step;

   (2) use VM anonymous classes (see JDK-8078602 [1]) and just retry
Species creation;

   (3) give up on that particular Species shape and throw an error
whenever it is requested (how it works right now, but with more
meaningful error message).

I remember I experimented with (2), but even after JDK-8078629 [2] there
was still measurable peak performance regression on Octane/Nashorn.

(1) looks more favorable and robust, but right now there shouldn't be
much difference - there's no support in VM to unload MH.linkTo*
adapters, so the failure will repeatedly occur once the code cache is full.

My conclusion is that it is mostly a test problem, but java.lang.invoke
framework should clearly communicate the reason why it fails. Since the
test is aware about code cache overflow problems, it looks preferable to
go with (1) or (3) for now. VM should throw VirtualMachineError on
repeated attempts to instantiate SPECIES_DATA and the test already
filters them out.

Best regards,
Vladimir Ivanov