RFR (M) 8140802 - Clean up and refactor of class loading code for CDS

Coleen Phillimore coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Fri Oct 30 19:44:30 UTC 2015

Hi Ioi,
This is a manageable code change.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/8140802-cds-refactoring.v01/hotspot/src/share/vm/classfile/classListParser.hpp.html

You forward declare Klass* but don't use it in this header file.
Also can you add a comment to #endif  to say what it's endifing. ie. //
SHARE_VM_MEMORY_CLASSLISTPARSER_HPP

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/8140802-cds-refactoring.v01/hotspot/src/share/vm/classfile/classLoaderExt.cpp.html

   33   TempNewSymbol class_name_symbol = SymbolTable::new_permanent_symbol(parser->current_class_name(), THREAD);

This doesn't make sense.   If you want a permanent symbol, it doesn't
need to get un-reference counted with the TempNewSymbol destructor.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/8140802-cds-refactoring.v01/hotspot/src/share/vm/classfile/systemDictionary.cpp.udiff.html

+    // Make sure we have an entry in the SystemDictionary on success

This assert code is a copy of some code elsewhere.  Can you make it a
function that they boh can call?
Can you also comment the raw #endif's to what they're endifing?

Otherwise, this looks okay.

Coleen