AW: JDK 9 proposal: allocating ByteBuffers on heterogeneous memory

Bernd Eckenfels ecki at zusammenkunft.net
Fri Apr 1 02:30:01 UTC 2016

Hello,

I like the proposal. I wonder if minimal support for requesting “keyed” memory locations should already be present. The absolute minimum here would be a long (representing any key scheme but of course most natural would be a slot counter or base address)

Memory { ByteBuffer allocate(int size); ByteBuffer request(long slot, int size);}

(by Definition each request will produce independent ByteBuffer instances but sharing the backing)

This would work for shared memory segments and persistent ram.

There might be a need to interrogate the buffers (to get base address or slot number when allocate was used). So it might be a good idea to introduce generic signatures:

interface <T ext ByteBuffer> Memory {
  T allocate(int size);
  T request(long slot, int size);
}

ShmMemory implements Memory<ShmByteBuffer> { ... }

ShmByteBuffer b = new ShmMemory().allocate(1*MB);

I have the feeling the concept is only a bit more complex but covers much more cases with less wild casting and non standard factories.

I like the Memory name, an alternative would be BufferSupplier (with the idea it could also be used for logical buffer pools).

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net