Exceptional behavior of parallel stream

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Thu Aug 18 10:54:32 UTC 2016

On 08/17/2016 09:01 AM, Tagir F. Valeev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I found no information in Stream API documentation on how it behaves
> in case if exception occurs during the stream processing. While it's
> quite evident for sequential stream (stream processing is terminated
> and exception is propagated to the caller as is), the behavior for
> parallel streams differs from one might expect. Consider the following
> test:

In your example, you can witness the delayed termination of other threads
upon exception in another because you add side-effecting operations
(here, just printing). Avoiding all this would force sequential processing.

But if the supplied functions follow the documented properties,
it should not matter that parallel processing of some elements continues
when another hits an exception. Which is why nothing is said about it.
Similar effects occur in findAny and other methods. I don't see any benefit
in trying to specify exactly what happens in these cases.

-Doug