RFR 8170155: StringBuffer and StringBuilder stream methods are not late-binding

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Thu Dec 1 20:48:17 UTC 2016

On 12/01/2016 12:05 PM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

>>> Not quite. There is a spliterator implementation for each coder, in the case of the LATIN1 coder there are no associated intrinsics. I think it’s ok just to perform the explicit bounds check for the UTF16 coder, since for the LATIN1 bounds checks will be performed by baloads.
>>>
>>> However, i think there is bug. The coder could change from LATIN1 to UTF16, while holding a reference to a byte[] value as LATIN1.
>>>
>>> For StringBuilder i could fix that by atomically reading the value/count/coder, but there is still an issue with StringBuffer. Thus, in the UTF16 coder spliterator we need to perform the explicit bounds before *every* StringUTF16.getChar().
>>>
>>> Webrev updated:
>>>
>>>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8170155-string-buffer-builder-late-binding/webrev/
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Seems like we do have a bug here. But I think to use "charAt()" might not be the
>> desired/correct approach here?
>>
> I think the patch is correct for both StringBuffer and StringBuilder.
>
> It is specified that buffer must remain constant during execution of the stream terminal operation otherwise the results are undefined. Such an undefined result might be the throwing of an IndexOutOfBounds.

Ok, if the spec does not require to guarantee the correctness in , then the
patch is fine. It might be a small surprise  for some of the StringBuffer users
with the false assumption that StringBuffer is thread-safe so the returned
stream is kinda thread-safe as well.

I'm fine with either way you think is appropriate from "stream" point of
view.

Sherman