Java 9 build 148 causes trouble in Apache Lucene/Solr/Elasticsearch

Carsten Varming varming at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:19:28 UTC 2016

Dear Alan,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com>
wrote:

> The alternative is of course:
>
> ByteBuffer wrap(long address, int capacity)
> void unmap(MappedByteBuffer)
>
> The wrap method allow be similar to JNI's NewDirectByteBuffer for those
> that are managing the underlying memory themselves. This makes it a more
> advanced method to avoid too much temptation to free the memory underlying
> a buffer created with ByteBuffer.allocateDirect. We can't do much with
> unmap but that at least won't be widely used.

I previously patched Netty to use the Runnable cleaner, so I have some
interesting in this discussion.

Having a public method "ByteBuffer wrap(long adddress, int capacity) in the
standard would simplify Netty code. Netty currently use the cleaner on
ByteBuffers allocated by ByteBuffer.allocateDirect, but I believe that can
be changed.

Carsten