RFR 9: 8160848 : Add diagnostics to java/lang/ProcessBuilder/Zombies

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Tue Jul 5 20:19:27 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

On 7/5/2016 3:38 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Instead of unconditionally printing, why not print only when a zombie
> is discovered?  All the information should still be available, I think...
I'm not sure what to trust since this has not been an issue until recently.
In some local tests, the parent came back empty; that's probably normal
in the case where the process is/has already terminated.

One recent change on Solaris  just before the first appearance was:
8155808 Process.getInputStream().skip() method is faulty
<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8155808>

Which should only get involved when there is standard output. The
Zombies test does not consume standard out.
But I'll need to look into that to see how the exit value from the perl
script could be affected by the change.

> here's some misleading indentation...
>
> +            p2.waitFor();
> +                throw new Error(zombies + " zombies!");
fixed, I did some of the editing on solaris with an emacs using hard tabs.

Thanks, Roger