RFR: jsr166 jdk9 integration wave 7

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Mon Jul 11 10:17:09 UTC 2016

> On 8 Jul 2016, at 22:10, Martin Buchholz <martinrb at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 3:39 AM, Paul Sandoz <paul.sandoz at oracle.com <mailto:paul.sandoz at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
> Here is a spec diff for the atomics:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8080603-concurrent-unsafe-vhs/specdiff/java/util/concurrent/atomic/package-summary.html <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8080603-concurrent-unsafe-vhs/specdiff/java/util/concurrent/atomic/package-summary.html> <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8080603-concurrent-unsafe-vhs/specdiff/java/util/concurrent/atomic/package-summary.html <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8080603-concurrent-unsafe-vhs/specdiff/java/util/concurrent/atomic/package-summary.html>>
>
> I looked at the specdiff - easier to review than the raw text diff.
> The new spec delegates heavily to the VarHandle spec.  Let's make that spec good.
> Some of the old content, like the guidance on how to store floats/doubles in ints/longs in package-info .java, should probably be migrated to VarHandles, and not just discarded.

Yes, another pass over the VH documentation is needed. Which hopefully can start soon, given code changes are now settling down.

I am thinking about placing the signature-polymorphic stuff on MH and VH into a separate html document, that will then give more room to talk about relevant details on the VH class.

Paul.