RFR 9: JEP 290: Filter Incoming Serialization Data

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 07:00:41 UTC 2016

Hi Roger,

On 07/21/2016 08:19 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
>>> Interesting case, I'll take another look at that. Since block data
>>> records are <= 1024, a filter might not
>>> have enough information to make an informed decision.  Those bytes
>>> would show up in
>>> the stream bytes but not until the next object is read.
>>
>> ...which could be to late. If the filter is to be also used as a
>> defense against forged streams that try to provoke DOS by triggering
>> frequent GCs and OutOfMemoryError(s), then such call-back that
>> announces each block data record could help achieve that.
> Individual block data lengths are not very informative since block
> data can be segmented but
> a cumulative (for the whole stream) block data size suitable for a
> callback from the
> start of each block data segment might be useful.

Is it possible to identify which block data records "belong" to a
particular object? If yes, then perhaps cumulative sum(s) of block data
sizes for a particular object could be passed to the call-back together
with the Class of the object the data belongs to (similar to how array
is reported, the size would be cumulative block data size read so-far
and the filter could distinguish such callback from array callback by
inspecting clazz.isArray()). In conjunction with cumulative size of the
whole stream which is already passed now, I think this is enough to
implement all kinds of safety-belts.

If you think that such addition starts to become complex from
combinatorial standpoint then what about passing an additional enum
argument identifying a particular "event"? It would then be easy do
document the rest of parameters for each event type...

Regards, Peter