RFR 9: JEP 290: Filter Incoming Serialization Data

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Fri Jul 22 20:55:55 UTC 2016

Hi Peter,

A filter callback based on blockdata records would more frequently
inform the filter
of progress in the stream and the amount of data being consumed is
already available
from streamBytes.  That could improve detection of excessive data
without complicating
the interface and it would not be all that useful to pass the size of
individual block data records.
And it only helps in the case of a class with exclusively primitive data
and poor
checks on the data stream. As far as I can see, it increases the number
of filter callbacks
quite a bit and adds little value.
The current thresholds depth, number of refs, array size, and stream
size can identify
out of bounds conditions.  I don't want argue that it can't happen but
we're definitely
down the slippery slope beyond what is needed if it tries to expose the
shape of the graph or
what bytes go where.

Roger