RFR 9: JEP 290: Filter Incoming Serialization Data

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Mon Jul 25 14:54:03 UTC 2016

Roger,

Mainly looks good. Some comments on the spec:

  - Use the Present Simple Tense consistently, e.g.
     "Return*S* an ObjectInputFilter computed from a string of patterns."

  - ObjectInputFilter. Was there a comment already on the use of links?
     For example the following is showing in the javadoc:
     "ObjectInputStream.setObjectInputFilter(java.io.ObjectInputFilter)"
      when "setObjectInputFilter" would be better.

     Same comment applies to the links to ObjectInputFilter.Status, and
     other places.

  - ObjectInputFilter class description. "If set on an
     ObjectInputStream, the method*(s)* are called ..."

  - Looking at the example in the ObjectInputFilter class description
     makes me think that maybe the default process-wide filter should
     be a filter that simply returns UNDECIDED, rather than being null.
     Is it important to discern whether, or not, it has been set?

  - ObjectInputFilter.Config
     The initial sentence in the class description should describe the
     class itself, so maybe " A utility class for ..."

  - "process-wide" is this an agreed upon term? I'm just curious where
     it came from. Is there a more common term for this?

  - Config.setSerialFilter:  SecurityException - if there is security
     manager and the SerializablePermission("serialFilter") is not
     granted or if there is no securityManager set and the process-wide
     filter has already been set non-null

     It is a little odd to throw a SE if there is no SM, no ?

  - Is there a class/package level statement covering null, or should
     it be covered for each applicable method?

  - ObjectInputStream
     "... the serialization filter for the stream." ->
     "... the serialization filter for THIS stream."

  - setObjectInputFilter: "The checkInput method is called for each
     class and reference in the stream". Does this apply to back
     references too?

  - setObjectInputFilter: "... when the ObjectInputStream is constructed
     and CANNOT be re-set until an object has been deserialized."

-Chris.